Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Exploration 8 - Social Bookmarking Sites and Folksonomies

Social bookmarking sites, such as del.icio.us, fall into the catagory of "things I've heard a lot about but have yet to check out myself". The idea interests me, as I have always just been in the habit of emailing myself interesting links, but never figuring out an organized way to gather and access them. del.icio.us seems to simplify a part of our job (finding and evaluating great sites for patron and staff use), while also giving us a better way to share it.

I see social bookmarking sites as a great way to share links with each other and the public. We can organize them according to topic, and even write a few sentences (or a whole review!) about what's on the site and what it's good for. Linking del.icio.us up with our recommended sites page would be smart, as librarians from around the system could continually update links on the page and add new sites as we see them.

The general concept of folksonomies is something I've discussed on here many times before, so I'll just repeat what I've always said: the idea and implimentation of folksonomies and tagging into library catalogs and other information sharing sites is a truly revolutionary thing. It will hopefully make it easier for people to find what they are looking forward, based on natural language descriptions of materials.

No comments: